I'm all about kicking toxic products to the curb these days. Step by step my home is transforming from a chemical catastrophe to a more natural sanctuary. I've been playing around trying to create an all purpose cleaner that works just as well as the store bought brands, without all the yucky ingredients attached. I have finally found one that gets the job done and I would like to share it with all of you!
Firstly let's talk about some of those nasty ingredients that are found in most store bought all purpose cleaners.
- Ammonia: Used in most cleaners, this is an alkaline gas that can cause severe irritation when coming in contact with eyes, skin or respiratory tract. Most cleaners have to majorly dilute this substance just so it is considered "safe" to touch. Even with the dilution, it is still advised to wear gloves due to the dangers of this chemical.
- Sodium Hypochlorite: Better known as bleach. This chemical has to be used at a low 3% just to have contact with the skin. Just being in the presence of this strong chemical may cause severe irritation in the eyes and troubles breathing. When mixed with ammonia, the duo leads to the creation of very dangerous gas!
Like most toxic products I talk about, I can go on for days about how dangerous and unhealthy these things are for you. Just because it's on the market, doesn't mean it's safe for use or consumption! A lot of these companies are money hungry dummies who know they can take your money because they're selling products you need.
Now, for the solution.
There's all kinds of all purpose cleaners out there. Whether they're DIY or sold at your local stores. This is just the recipe I've found most useful. Keep reading for a super simple, 3 ingredient all purpose cleaner. All of these ingredients are probably already in your home!
What you will need:
- Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
- ANY essential oil
In a container (I used a squirt bottle from my local dollar store) mix equal parts ACV and water. Mix the duo thoroughly and add 15-25 drops of essential oil. I used lime because it has a strong, fresh scent and worked well with the bitter smell of the ACV. If you use a big bottle, you may need more essential oil. Once you've got your mixture perfect, you're done. That is seriously it.
If you don't have the apple cider vinegar, regular white vinegar will work too. I prefer ACV over white vinegar. It's scent is a little less bold. For those of you who didn't know, vinegars have antimicrobial properties which make them the perfect ingredient for an all purpose cleaner like this one. When you're cleaning with this product, obviously the bitter smell of vinegar will be present. It is completely temporary and will go away after you rinse the surface you're cleaning. If you're not super sensitive to smells, try adding a little more essential oil if the vinegar smell is offensive to you.
What can you clean with this recipe? Great question. I'm glad you asked. You can clean basically any surface in your house. This product will be your new best friend when cleaning your bathroom and kitchen especially. I use this on (but not limited to):
- Bathroom Sinks
- Kitchen Sink
- Counter tops
- Shower (Floors and walls)
- Other appliances (Cook top, inside fridge, inside microwave, etc.)
Now you can clean without fear of all the toxic chemicals you're inhaling. Plus it's kind of cool making your own products and seeing how effective they are. :)
I hope you guys liked this little DIY and I will talk to you on Monday!
Don't forget to subscribe below or in the NEWSLETTER TAB at the top of the site, thanks for reading!